Moscow Circus on Tsvetnoi Boulevard, or Nikulin’s Circus, is located on Tsvetnoi Boulevard in the Tverskoy District of central Moscow. It was the only circus in the city between 1926 and 1971, and still remains the most popular one.
The circus building was opened as the Solomonsky Circus on 20 October 1880. The circus is one of the oldest circuses in Russia. Known by a variety of names during the Soviet period, the troupe was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1939.
Among the famous performers who worked there were the clowns Karandash, Oleg Popov, and Yuri Nikulin. Nikulin managed the company for fifteen years, and it has borne his name since his death in 1997. In front of the building is a remarkable statue of Nikulin, whose son has managed the circus since his death. Valentin Gneushev was the circus choreographer in the late 1990s.